Since it rained just about all day, I didn’t work outside today. Instead, I have created a “Gardening Summer Bucket List” in hopes that I actually accomplish more projects around the garden. Last year, I didn’t do as much as I wanted to do because I simply did not make a list. So, here goes…
- Build blueberry boxes around my blueberry bushes so they have more soil
- Make a ladybug house out of sticks and hope spiders don’t find it! Ladybugs are good for the garden- spiders, not so much.
- Mulch around flower beds (hoping to cross this off this week)
- Cover raspberries (with a cage)- out of old materials of course!
- Build a tire retaining wall- This is really Tony’s project. Since Tony works on cars too, we have a lot of old tires sitting around. Hoping to recycle some of these instead of sending them to a landfill.
- Keep up with the garden (that’s the picture from 2012, it looks a bit different now, but it’s still the same goal).
- Trim trees above shed for more sunlight
- Put lights up/ wire electric, so I can spend more time in the garden
- Stain fence – clear coat to protect it
- Post about glass plate flowers (yes, I’ve already made these, but haven’t posted)
- Attend Mud Sale! Lancaster county is the best place for Amish Mud Sales. One is coming up in two weeks. It’s the best auction for plants, crafts, and antiques.
- Work on making more decorative planters- There are some really great ideas here, but of course I will post mine at some point. (The picture below is from 2012 also, I have different plans for the year)
- Visit a yard sale just to find planters
- Organize my garden shed- It.is.a.mess. I found some great ideas- Better Homes and Gardens offers some GREAT tips!
- Create door knob hooks outside
- Make sweet tea- from apple mint plants. I know there are tons of benefits to apple mint too!
- Repaint garden shutter boxes- the paint is beginning to chip
- Trellis made out of old ladder for cantaloupe and watermelon
- Visit habitat for humanity store and find a project to make
- Create garden markers using circuit- I really like the idea of using wooden spoons. I wonder if I can find those at a yard sale.
- Garden with my nieces and nephews- They always love it!
- Visit mom’s garden and do a blog post- My mom has a pretty large garden and they are expanding each year.
- Pick cherries at a local orchard- I always pick cherries at Cherry Hill Orchard. Cherry picking season is now! There is about a 2 week window, then sour cherries come in at the end of the month.
- Make jam
- Can peaches! I love the idea of fresh peaches all year! And I know what I’m putting in them! I found useful canning tips on Simple Bites.
- Canning with my aunt- we will probably make salsa, but she cans so much! I have a lot to learn from her.
My personal (non gardening) Bucket List:
Along with my “Summer Bucket List” board on Pinterest, here are a few more:
- Cruise to the Bahamas! I am so excited for this!
- Florida visit with Grandmother
- Make a pillow case dress for my niece
- Spend time on the deck making s’mores (please ignore the broom..lol)
- Shaving cream water slide (I know one of my nieces or nephews would love this)
- A milkshake from Son’s– They have a TON of milkshake flavors, but my favorite is Oreo! Yummy!
- We also just bought a camper at a permanent place, so I am hoping to reupholster all the cushions, make the curtains, and paint the inside (it’s a little dated)
Needless to say, I have a lot on my list! I am a little ambitious. I am super excited to blog about it too. Do you have a summer bucket list? If so, do you have anything I should add?